|Lyricist||Rinkichi [Bansui] Tsuchii (12/5/1871–10/19/1952)|
|Music Composer||Akira Nakada (7/8/1886–11/27/1931)|
|Client||Busan Public Commercial Specialized Training College|
|Date of Commission||12/3/1920|
|Source||“5/1916–5/1926 Music Commission Dossier”|
Commissioned in December 1920 (9th year of the Taisho period). There still remains a commission form, lyrics sheet, and musical score. The Class A song was commissioned for ceremonial use while the Class B song was for a procession.
At first, this school was founded as the Busan Commercial School for Japanese Residents in 1906 (39th year of the Meiji period). In the following year, it was certified as Busan Public Commercial Specialized Training College by the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture. Built in 1928, the original schoolhouse is still used today as part of the Pukyong High School.
Yaroku Ikaga, one of the school’s former principals, actually commissioned the school anthem when he was the principal of the Shiga Prefectural Commercial School in 1907. The lyricist, then a professor at the Second High School (now Tohoku University), is known for songs such as Hana (“Flower”) and Kojo no Tsuki (“Moon over a Deserted Town”).
Both music composers taught at the Tokyo Academy of Music where Yamada (Class A) was an assistant professor and Kusumi (Class B) was a lecturer. This school anthem was sung by students until it was replaced by another song in 1936.
Even though the Busan Public Commercial Specialized Training College has now been shut down, Pukyong High School still uses the building.
|2/23/2012 (Studio A, Tokyo University of the Arts, Faculty of Music, Senju Campus)|